CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Why We Are The Love Society

When Sharon and I went to Summerville this past Tuesday, we met with the memory loss patients. We were sitting at a large, round table with Lucille, Betsy and Betty. Lucille seemed a little more aware of what was going on around her, and Betsy seemed more lucid than Betty. I realized it would be difficult to build on questions with these ladies when Betsy asked me my name for the second time. I had a strange feeling of deja vu, and I realized that she must have a hard time holding on to new information. Betty and Betsy are roommates, from what I understand and Betty thinks Betsy is absolutely beautiful. She covered her face with her hands and started to cry. Betsy said, "don't cover up your face, you're just as beautiful!" Then Betty said, "I love you so much" to Betsy and Betsy said, "I love you too." Lucille who had been quiet for a few minutes piped up and said, "We're just the love society here today."

I thought, what a great name to call our little volunteer group. It was also fitting because whenever I asked Betsy's favorite animal, or color, or ice cream she would say she loves everything and everyone.

This goes to show that even in old age and the onset of dementia, we can all still be full of love.

0 comments: