CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Leroy and Mary

Today, Sharon, Meghan and I went to Summerville and spoke with Leroy and Mary, a couple at the nursing home. Mary is a dementia patient who lives at the nursing home and Leroy lives in Sanford with his daughter. He drives every day to the nursing home and spends the day with Mary. They have been married for a whopping 56 years! We spoke to them about their history, and I wrote this poem about how they met.

Find Love in Death

Surrounded in black, shrouded
in dark shadows caused by hundred year old trees,
I take her hand in mine.
It is soft and pure
and it contours to mine.
We weave in and out of
forest trees and shrubbery until
we stumble upon our destination.
A graveyard nestled in the throes
of swamp water and mud. She grips
my hand tighter, harder
and her bare palm sweats.
As we bid farewell, I whisper, "See you soon."

--Stephanie S.

0 comments: