CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Experience

I felt inspired by the residents of Summerville and this is my reflection on my experience there.



Summerville

Early morning, breakfast tables
full of conversations and laughter.
Exercise hour. Rosary hour; events
laid out every day, like a pretty outfit.
Keep them active, keep them happy,
keep them smiling and friendly.

Couples still by each other's side for half a
Century and more. Residents who cannot remember
their last meal, but who still love everything.
At night, we discover, they keep demons.
Sundowners, a syndrome unknown to me
affects these lovely women in their
aged years of perfection.

Painting nails with fresh coats of nail lacquer.
File it shorter. No nail clippers,
just chemicals and shades of pink. We speak
of upcoming movies and the oncoming Twilight.


Playing cards for nickels, baking
chocolate chip cookies that stink up
the entire second floor. A stench, that makes my mouth
water for more.

Laid back, open, and willing to speak of
the good times they've had. What more
could I ask for in an experience here at Summerville.
We share personal tidbits of information,
talking of origins and past jobs, relationships,
pets and experiences.

At the end of the day, when the sun sets,
and the demons come out to play,
they may not remember me, but they
have left a lasting impression in my memory;
forever to cherish, forever to reflect, forever to grow.

--Stephanie S.

0 comments: